For the average individual, about a third of life their life is spent in bed. When one stops to think about sweat, shed hair, dust, shed dead skin cells, and other contaminants, allergens, and foreign bodies lingering in the bed, it is no wonder people can’t sleep well. Though most are pretty good about washing the sheets and bedding periodically, few think about the buildup of sweat and debris that is on the mattress. In order to maintain your mattress, you should vacuum and treat any spots and odors every 2-3 months and by a professional every 6-12 months. There are proper maintenance steps to keep your mattress in prime condition for the duration of its lifespan, and potentially beyond. With that in mind, we at Mr Madison Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Specialists would like to share some steps to clean your mattress in between professional cleanings.
How to Deep Clean & Disinfect a Mattress
1) Mattress prep and surface cleaning. Strip the pillow cases, sheets, and comforter and in separate loads according the labels directions, launder the bedding. Using the vacuum’s hose and appropriate attachments, strategically vacuum the mattress’s sides, back, and top; ensuring to especially vacuum the seams and divots where he debris has a tendency to collect.
2) Neutralize and/or prevent odors. From the sweat alone, among other factors that only intensify the smells, mattresses easily develop odors. To neutralize the existing odors and prevent others from developing, to generously sprinkle baking soda on the surface of your mattress and wait 30 minutes or so. To add more fragrance, you can add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils into the baking soda. After the allotted time, vacuum the surface of the vacuum slowly and strategically to ensure all the remnants are vacuumed up.
3) Mattress stain and spot removal. Should you notice any spots or stains, create a paste using hydrogen peroxide and baking soda with a few pinches of salt, the paste should be fairly thick. Apply the paste to the various spots and stains, then gently agitate the mixture into the mattress’s fabric. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes. Once it is completely dry, vacuum the particles and use a damp cloth to remove any remaining residues. For stubborn stains, mix 1-part mild liquid dishwashing soap and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle and apply the mixture to the affected area. Let it set 5-10 minutes and use a clan damp cloth to blot away the stains. If any odors still linger or mysterious stains that are still note completely worked out, combine 1 cup white vinegar, ½ cup baking soda, 1 tbsp mild liquid dish soap and use a damp cloth after application and waiting 5-10 minutes.
4) How to dry mattress quickly. Before remaking your bed, ensure the mattress is completely dry. If the weather permits, open a window, if applicable switch on any floor or ceiling fans to expedite the drying process.
5) Rotate mattress. To even out the normal wear, after cleaning your mattress flip it over and rotate it counter-clockwise.
Mattress Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Warren, Madison Heights, Livonia, Ann Arbor & Detroit, MI | Tri County Area of Wayne, Macomb & Oakland Counties Michigan
Mr Madison Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Specialists is readily available when you need your mattresses cleaned in Southern California, give us a call to schedule your mattress deep cleaning.