An estimated 40 million Americans suffer from indoor allergies and carpets are a great place for allergens to hide. Allergens like pollen, pet dander, mold and dust mites can make life miserable for allergy sufferers. Allergens are always floating through the air and your carpets act like a huge filter to trap them. But you don’t have to remove your carpets to get relief. You just need to take care of this problem the right way. Having carpets steam cleaned can remove virtually all of the allergens lurking in carpet that can cause allergic reactions and asthma.
Maximize Your Cleaning Efforts to Reduce Indoor Allergens
1. Dust to control mites. Dust surfaces and wash bedding to reduce the amount of dust in your home.
2. Vacuum regularly. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter. Higher pollen counts mean you’ll have to vacuum more often. Make sure to change the filters often as some allergens are small enough to get through even the best filters.
3. Reduce pet dander. Give your pets a bath once a week to reduce dander in the home and wipe them down after they’ve been outside.
4. Keep pollen out. When pollen counts are high, keep the windows shut and change air filters more often.
5. Control dirt at the door. Place mats at the entrances to your home to cut down on the dirt that will get tracked inside and take shoes off in the home.
Professional Steam Carpet Cleaning Method is Best for Allergies
To alleviate symptoms, you need to prevent the buildup of allergens in the home. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America recommends your carpets be cleaned three to four times a year by professionals. Regular vacuuming cannot remove all of the allergens that are trapped deep in the carpet fibers. The best way to significantly reduce allergy symptoms is to have your carpets cleaned using the hot water extraction method. The machines you can rent are not as powerful as the professional ones. This makes doing it yourself less effective and will leave allergens behind. The other problem with rented machines is that they will leave moisture behind that can promote the buildup of mold because these machines cannot remove all the water left in the carpet. Don’t forget to have your mattresses, upholstery and drapes cleaned on a regular basis too.
Best Carpet Flooring for Allergy Sufferers
When the time comes to replace your carpet then choose one that is designed to alleviate allergy symptoms. Carpet manufactures make carpet better all the time and there are options available. There are hypoallergenic carpets and/or antimicrobial carpets and padding available. These have low levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can be released in the air. These carpets are also easy to take care of.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Warren, Madison Heights, Livonia, Ann Arbor & Detroit, MI | Tri County Area of Wayne, Macomb & Oakland Counties Michigan
Hiring professionals means you’ll have specially trained technicians and state of the art equipment to remove allergens from your home. Mr. Madison Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Specialists is trained in cleaning carpets to help allergy sufferers breathe easier and live more comfortably. Give us a call today!